Dawson County Schools
House Bill 251 Guidance
Parents of students enrolled in Georgia public schools may request to transfer to another school within the school district if the school district determines there is classroom space available and that other specific provisions, as outlined in the link provided, are met. If a transfer is approved, the parent must assume the responsibility and associated cost of transportation to and from the school.
Classroom space may be available at certain grade levels in the elementary and middle schools. If transfer requests exceed the available space, then a lottery selection process will be utilized after the following priorities are satisfied:
- Students who are attending a school that is in any level of Needs Improvement
- Students who have a disability whose IEP or IAP requires placement at a particular school
- Students who are homeless
- Students who have programmatic needs that are only available at a certain school
- Students entitled to attend a certain school as a result of being children of employees
- Students who are twins or other multiples in accordance with state law
The district will accept new transfer requests for the 2016-2017 school year from April 15, 2016 until 5:00 pm on May 13. Parents will receive notification of approval.
Transfer Request Forms can be picked up at the school from which the student is seeking to transfer or be downloaded from www.dawsoncountyschools.org website. Choose House Bill 251/School Choice to obtain the actual form.
Complete this form only if you are moving out of the Riverview District and wish to remain at Riverview or you live in the RvES district and wish to attend Blacks Mill Elementary, Kilough Elementary or Robinson Elementary. Fifth grade students will need to complete form if they choose to attend a middle school out of assigned zone.
Completed form must be returned to the school of your choice by the date shown above. No form will be accepted after this date.
Click on the following link to get the School Choice Form.